- This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 year ago by em6.
29 września 2020 at 12:02 am #5476Elena LouviereGuest
When I Was White
by Sarah Valentine
- Release date: August 6, 2019
- Author: Sarah Valentine
- Publisher: St. Martin’s Publishing Group (St. Martin’s Press)
- Language: english
- ISBN: 9781250146755 (1250146755)
- Format: hardcover, 304 pages
About The Book
The stunning and provocative coming-of-age memoir about Sarah Valentine’s childhood as a white girl in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, and her discovery that her father was a black man.
At the age of 27, Sarah Valentine discovered that she was not, in fact, the white girl she had always believed herself to be. She learned the truth of her paternity: that her father was a black man. And she learned the truth about her own identity: mixed race.
And so Sarah began the difficult and absorbing journey of changing her identity from white to black. In this memoir, Sarah details the story of the discovery of her identity, how she overcame depression to come to terms with this identity, and, perhaps most importantly, asks: why? Her entire family and community had conspired to maintain her white identity. The supreme discomfort her white family and community felt about addressing issues of race — her race — is a microcosm of race relationships in America.
A black woman who lived her formative years identifying as white, Sarah’s story is a kind of Rachel Dolezal in reverse, though her „passing” was less intentional than conspiracy. This memoir is an examination of the cost of being black in America, and how one woman threw off the racial identity she’d grown up with, in order to embrace a new one.
Online When I Was White by Sarah Valentine for Android on Book Depository. Hardback book When I Was White download. MOBI ebook When I Was White read on Kobo. MP3 ebook When I Was White Sarah Valentine buy PocketBook.29 września 2020 at 10:01 am #6114em6Guest
- Five Midnights · Ann Dávila Cardinal · 9781250296092
- The Cold Way Home · Julia Keller · 9781250191229
- You Are My F*cking Sunshine: A Gratitude Journal for the Sh*t That Makes Your World Happy and Bright · Monica Sweeney · 9781250270412
- Lady Hotspur · Tessa Gratton · 9780765392497
- You Matter: Learning to Love Who You Really Are · Matthew Emerzian · 9781250209993